Monday, September 20, 2010

Are you a warrior?

Friday I left work right at the closing bell and drove up to the Catskills for my Warrior Dash weekend with my fraternity brothers. First off it sucks trying to find a shitty country road in the dark. Thank God I had my crackberry, opened GOOG maps and typed in the address. I had only overshot the road by four miles. I drove back and found the place. Funny how being the only gay guy in the group pretty much automatically gets me my own room, lol.

Friday was definitely a late night drinking- probably too much but it was a POTATO weekend. That is a great acronym I found that stands for Person Over Thirty Acting Twenty One. The weird thing is sometime during the night my crackberry died on me. No clue as to what happened to it. At first I was a bit freaked out by it but I have to say there was something actually pretty nice about not being connected.

Our wave was not until 3 PM so everyone had time to rest up and partially recuperate. Some however- actually only one- chose to use their time differently and started with the Bloody Marys at breakfast and switched over to vodka and tonics. Funny how the lawyer in the group was the one who did that.

The race was actually great. Well the first part was not as the first leg was a mile and a half up the mountain. Holy shit that sucked and it was a complete mind fuck. You get up to a nice level area and think you are done with the ascent and go through the tire high knee obstacle only to turn the corner and find another incline. Then it was over the walls- three of them. At that point the medical personnel on hand decided the lawyer was really not fit to complete the race and pulled him out- thank God as we all thought he might drop dead- he has not kept in good shape since college.

The rest of the race was pretty fun. The pond was interesting as it was freezing- think George Costanza- and you started up to your waist and after about three steps you are instantly up to your neck. I and two other brothers were in good enough shape we probably could have done a great time but prior to starting we had all agreed to do it and finish it as a group. The three of us were often waiting for the rest to catch up after the obstacles. The funniest parts were the the last three obstacles. The giant slip 'n slide was a blast and you picked up serious speed on it and the people at the end of it were yelling to hurry up and get off. Jumping the two fire pits after that was fun. The mud pit was a lot deeper than it looked- of course I did a flip into it and did not injure myself- and they had the barbed wire low enough that you had to get down in the mud and do the army crawl through it- basically getting completely covered. The short dash ended it at the water table and the bananas. Then it was off to the beer tent and the party.

We all got back, showered up and I took a nap as did some others. Then it was pizza and wings and beer yet again.

That night I hit the hay relatively early as I knew I'd be sore. I had breakfast and decided when some choose to break out the remaining alcohol that I would leave.

I got to the first Can You Hear Me Know store and walked in and told the guy my crackberry died, I did not get it wet nor did I drop it. Thankfully it was under warranty still so he replaced it. I was psyched about that as right now with the cottage I could not afford to buy a new one.

Of course I was very close to the cottage when I got my new phone and there was a text from the husband suggesting I just go straight home. Instead I went tot he cottage, got to have lunch with him and spend time at PJ and ST's pool. Then I brought the kids home with me. Thank God I had no trading to do last night.

I watched Boardwalk Empire last night. Why? Don't know, probably should have gone to sleep earlier and I had set the dvr to record it anyhow. The first episode was a bit tedious for me. I will have to give it a few more to decide if it is worth it.

This morning after I showered I grabbed some Q-Tips to clean my ears out. Holy shit I had tons of mud still from Saturday. The things were black.

I did not run this morning. Probably should have as it was a short one and this is the race week. I'll make it up tomorrow morning and then do the one for tomorrow morning in the evening.

I am kind of perplexed by the whole payroll tax holiday idea being put forth by various politicians. I think it show how much they have sold out and how much of a corporatist state we have become when they all suggest the companies get it. Seriously, I don't know of any company that makes hiring decisions based upon tax rates. Companies make hiring decisions based upon how much of their goods or services they can or think they can sell. Why hasn't anyone suggested the employees get the one year tax holiday from payroll taxes? That would be money directly into peoples pockets. Granted there is no way to control what they do with it; some may spend it, some may use it to pay down debt and some may save it. All of those things are good for the economy.

Who says baseball isn't dangerous? I read where one Tyler Colvin from the Cubs got impaled by a bat. No, he isn't some kind of vampire but apparently the bat broke when the batter swung and it went flying and impaled the guy in the chest. He is doing ok. He is also kinda cute...

No dojo tonight- sweep the leg NOT!- because I am actualyl busy in Asia. Sensei is getting annoyed and rightyl so but I will have a sit down tomorrow and explain sorry my career responsiblities have changed and it pays the bills. It probably means my aspirations of gettingthe vaunted black pants within the year are notgonna happen and I may have to admit to myself that window has closed and just burn off my classes over time when I can make it. Oh well.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Jarrard said...

you did a flip into the mudpit??? Sick!!!!