Saturday, December 26, 2009

Glitter is evil- I am not talking about Mariah's movie (but that is evill too)

Glitter: indestructible, omnipresent and evil. The husband got more wrapping paper and of course all of it had glitter- he's Latin and anything sparkley, red, gold or silver instantly catches his eye. The rolls of wrapping paper he got fit the bill on all of those counts. The thing is though is the glitter comes off those wrapping papers and gets everywhere. The dogs had it on the, the dining room table, the couches, the floor, my coats, my hair, my mug.

This past week was a bit busy and actually nice. Wednesday night we had the in-laws, my sister-in-law and her best friend over for an early Christmas dinner since we would not be seeing any of them for Christmas. My sister-in-law finished up her finals at college Tuesday night and her best friend picked her up. They went to Boston and spent the night there, then drove down to our place Wednesday afternoon. Dinner was great,the husband made an awesome meal of lamb with shallots, prunes and olives (yeah, I was hesitant about the prunes but they tasted really good when roasted with the lamb and everything else), asparagus and roasted red potatoes. The fudge I made was a huge hit too.

Christmas Eve the husband drove down to ST and PJ's farm earlier in the the day with the kids and a box of presents. I got out of work, loaded up the truck with the rest of the presents and drove to my brother's house in central Jersey to drop off gifts for his twin sons. Mom and dad were there too. I walked in and my brother asked what's with all the sparkles on my coat and face, he wanted to know if I stopped by some bar with go-go boys on the way there. Ha-ha, so frackin' funny.

Then I was off to the ex' house to drop off all the boys gifts because I was not all about schlepping them up to mom and dad's house for the week and then back down to the boys' primary residence. Then off to the farm for Christmas Eve dinner. We then all opened our gifts. The husband loved all of his. My oldest got him a fountain pen, my youngest got him cuff links in the shape of beetles and I got him the nook. He was psyched.

Christmas morning we slept in kind of late, had some breakfast and just vegged out. I started reading an awesome book the husband got me for Christmas- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. How could I not be psyched about a book with the word zombies in the title. He also got me Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters- that one looks good too. Some chick Jane Austen and one Seth Graham-Smith wrote both of them.

Yesterday afternoon the husband, our hosts and their other Christmas guest went to the movies and I hit the road. I stopped by the ex' best friend's house to pick up the boys. Everyone asked if I had the kids because the best friend used to have a Scottie as well and she and her entire family loved the kids the last time they met them. I told them nope, not this year as I did not have room for them in the truck. The boys got in and they found new dvds for their big Christmas gifts from me and the husband- portable dvd players. My oldest got season 1 and 2 of South Park. My youngest got the entire Filmation series of Flash Gordon. They were psyched. Everyone also notice I had glitter on my coat, in my hair and on my mug, commenting on it. The ex told me to thank my mom for her Christmas gift and said she really liked it. Big praise coming form her so I asked what she got and it was the blouse she was wearing. I commented wow,she actually got you something for Christmas you like and she laughed and said yeah, it only took her almost 20 years, lol.

The dive up was basically pouring rain once we got near Scranton. By the time I pulled into mom and dad's driveway it was freezing rain. I told dad he needed to salt his driveway- which he did.

Here is the big mystery and makes me wonder if there is a secret Santa in the family. There was a bag on the handle of mom and dad's front door. My youngest grabbed it on his way in. I started unpacking the truck- the husband gave me and the boys a huge gift that consisted of three large boxes stored in the bed of the truck. Mom thought maybe it was something from a neighbor and opened it when there were two small things addressed to the boys. They each opened the boxes to find iTouches. I have no idea who they are from as I know mom and dad are too cheap,um I mean frugal, to spend that kind of money. I called the husband and asked but I know he thinks the boys are somewhat spoiled and he did not do it. My oldest called his mom and asked if she or her dad did it and she said no. I am kind of pissed as I have been telling the no,they are not getting them- sometimes the husband is right about them being a bit spoiled-and someone did an end run on me. They were concerned I'd make them return them but I have no idea who they are from.

I got the rest of the truck unpacked and mom commented I still had glitter on my coat and in my hair. I kindly told her I knew and gave her my best STFU about the god damn glitter look.

We had an awesome Christmas dinner and my oldest ate everything including the squash. We then opened the presents. The husband got us a telescope which is way cool and the boys were really excited because they said we can use it to check out the city from the apartment.

I then set up the boys new, mysterious iTouches. they immediately started downloading as many free apps as they could, lol.

Today will be a lazy Saturday. The only thing we need to do is the oldest and I have to go to the mall to get his cell phone checked out as it is not really functioning at all. I will probably have to end up getting him a new one.

Christmas Eve in the markets is funny. It seems to be a recent tradition of some company trying to sneak through bad news of some sorts after the close on Christmas Eve. There were a few news items that might have qualified for that but I think the biggest thing was the government basically admitting housing is not getting better at all and so taking off the caps they had imposed on FNM and FRE. This is not good and very underhanded of the government to do it after the close.

I am on vacation with the boys this week.

No comments: