Saturday, June 13, 2009

McLovin and White Castle

So the ex was going to some event in the city last night and offered to drop the boys off in Hoboken on the way in. I of course said sure but there was a catch. My youngest had a sleep over birthday party and it was his best friend. So he went to that and just my oldest came last night. It was actually a great time. He and I went out for dinner to a sushi place with a patio in the back. He loves eel sushi so of course that is what he got. I had the plain type of rolls. We had a great conversation. He has had some issues with his grades this year- that is why he lost his texting on his cell- and he actually told me he got an F on a quiz this past week but has yet to tell his mom. I told him he better tell her before she finds out otherwise she will get mad. This led to a discussion of her temper and yelling. He had a lot of negative things to say about her in that light. I quickly put a stop to that and told him just because I am not married to his mom anymore does not mean he can talk in that manner about her. I told him I understand she has a temper, she gets it from her dad. My oldest was stunned at that as he has never seen his grandfather lose his temper. I also explained that his mom's temper is quick and the best thing to do is let her yell and scream, stay calm and when it seems appropriate ask if she is done yelling and would she like to talk. he laughed and said that was a good idea and I told him it works too, I've used it before. I told him he needs to tell his mom by the this coming Friday about the quiz and I would ask him each night if he has and if he has not I will tell her. He is afraid she will get really mad. I explained it is because she cares about him and loves him and knows he is smart enough to do the work. I also explained if she finds out some other way she will get even more mad because he tried to hide it from her and she thinks that is akin to lying, which for her is a mortal sin.

So since it was just the two of us last night (the husband went out to a movie and dinner with Ragnar and Umberto) we walked to BBI and got Super Bad. I know a lot of people thought this was a great, funny movie but I have to say I thought it was only ok. Don't get me wrong, the character of McLovin was genius and funny but the whole movie I found not as funny as I expected and a bit disjointed. My oldest however had seen parts of it before with several of his friends and found it thoroughly hilarious.

This morning I got up, cleaned the apartment and then showered up and drove down to central Jersey to pick up my youngest from his best friend's sleep over birthday party. I got to the house and found out that the seven 9 year old boys had slept in the back yard in a tent in sleeping bags. I asked the dad (who was kinda cute in a geek way) if it had rained and he laughed and said a bit. The mom was very nice and I complimented her on her two Mies Van De Roe chairs. I was in like Flynn after that. My youngest was psyched because he got to sit in the front seat of the truck- normally that is his older brother's spot. I told him I think his older brother missed him. He said highly unlikely and asked why I thought that. It was simple for me as when the boys are with us on the weekends they share a room and once they are in bed that is it. However, last night my oldest had the room to himself and was up no less than 4 times in the middle of the night, in our room standing next to the bed and asking me for a drink, would I walk him to the bathroom (directly across from his room in the opposite direction of our room), can I turn the music on for him, etc.

While I was driving down there I got stuck in a huge traffic jam due to an accident. When I passed it I saw two objects covered by white sheets which I took to be bodies. It was odd because I had to look- I think that is called rubbernecking. I of course told my youngest when I picked him up and he thought it was cool and asked if I ran either of them over.

Meanwhile, back at the Batcave- the husband and my oldest were grocery shopping for our brunch we hosted today.

My younger brother and his wife and twin one year old sons came over for brunch. So as soon as we walked in the door I was right in the kitchen. The good thing about inviting people with really young kids is you no they are always late by at least 10 minutes. My brother and his wife and kids were and that was a positive since we were not quite ready yet.

Brunch was a success and the kids were psyched to have one year old children around as that means lots of food dropped or thrown on the floor. My sister-in-law was trying to clean up a bunch of Cheerios and he husband and I both told her to stop, the dogs are living vacuum cleaners and will get everything- which they did.

When they left the boys and I went to the local BKS. My oldest had said he wanted to get some mythology books. So we went and found a young readers collection of ancient Greek myths (I had to buy two copies as both of them wanted their own), The Iliad, The Odyssey, Gilgamesh, a book about Norse mythological heroes and gods and a collection of Norse myths. After that we met the husband (who ran into JP) on the corner and went to Joseph A. Banks since they are having yet again another buy one get two free sale. I got some new dress pants for work making the husband happy since that means I will be getting rid of the remaining khakis I have.

The husband went down to PJ's and ST's farm in central Jersey for the evening. The boys and I had dinner, played Godzilla on the Wii- my youngest kicked my ass in the brawl mode- and then watched Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle. Ok, that was very funny and I unwittingly bought the uncut version so my youngest saw a lot of boobs and heard the F-bomb a lot. His brother pulled me aside and said he is concerned his little bro would spill the beans to the ex. I told him act like nothing is wrong and he will stop watching. He did. I will still tell him he shouldn't tell his mom about it.

Tomorrow we are celebrating Fathers Day. I know it is next week but I screwed up the calendar when fixing it with the ex, have our race next weekend, the beach and guests at the beach. I am not driving back down to central Jersey again after doing it the past two years- and last year with a stress fracture in my ankle. I told the boys all I wanted was for them to stop acting like typical brothers and be nice to each other and not name calling, punching, pushing or physical contact of any sort. They both promised they would try their best. We'll see...

1 comment:

Tim said...

Gilgamesh? Trying to ensure gay prodigy??? : )

Still it's one of my favorites, specially the version with Noah