Monday, January 30, 2012

So the O in OLED stands for organic

The weekend was actually pretty nice.  Friday night we had dinner with ST and PJ and the farm boys.  I made a chocolate cake and used my decorative frosting kit that I got for Christmas.  I gotta tell ya making flowers and what not out of frosting is not easy at all.  I definitely need to get a book or watch some YouTube videos on how it is done.  If you stood at least twenty feet yards away what I had done sort of passed for a flower.  My border on the cake though came out great.

Saturday I skipped the dojo and instead got my run in as the husband of course had a list of errands we needed to get done before we drove into the city for dinner.   I ran my three miles in just under 24 minutes.  I was psyched as I have to admit I do actually have a goal for this god damn race- it being the last half marathon I intend to do- and that is to run just under or right at 8 minute miles.  I have done the math and that means I need to finish the race in one hour and forty-four minutes or less.

So the oldest son is not the best student around.  He clearly does not understand the importance of handing in homework on time etc.  His grades going into the end of the second marking period clearly reflected it.  His mother and I both had a discussion with him.  I have resigned myself to the simple fact that he will just be a B or C student in high school.  No big deal, I know a lot of people who were and still have successful, productive, happy lives.  We did however decide he needed a tutor.  Of course the husband has been harassing him about how his tutor will be some hot, young thing with large breasts and that will get him to focus on what she is saying to him, lol.

Well the oldest actually did pretty well in his midterms and he told me to tell the husband that the tutor is exactly the opposite of what he said she would be.  The husband of course wants picture proof to which my oldest said fine, if you want to see flap jacks I'll get a picture of her for you.

I must admit I joined twitter.  Several people where expressing how great and timely it is and that you find out things so quickly.  I have to say that with my job I get news just as fast if not faster and can't honestly admit that twitter is any better at keeping me up on things than BBRG, RTRSY or any other news service out there.  However- I do now get to pseudo stalk Ryan Reynolds, Ryan Gossling and some other hot guys.

With twitter now deciding to allow selective censoring in certain countries however I am debating if I want to use it as that seems to me to fly int he face of all information should be free, etc etc etc.

Speaking of stepping into the 20th century- the husband capitulated and joined Facebook!  I was pretty shocked when he asked me to help him set up an account.  I asked him why and he gave me some reason about hoping it will help him network better in his quest for a new job.  

Am I the only wondering what has gotten into France and their activist foreign policy in the past two years or so?  They led the whole Libya thing, they are at the forefront of the Iranian oil embargo and they are clearly agitating for regime change in Syria.  Are they trying to distract form their problems at home by taking such a vocal role?  I dunno.

So I have been intrigued by the whole OLED thing but I have to wonder- if they are organic light emitting diodes does that mean they are alive?  Could they form some kind of hive mind and become a superorganism much like an ant colony?  Can they gain sentience?  Do I really want a sentient television?  It could make for a pretty cool sci-fi novel....













No comments: