Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Do as I say, not as I do

Training for the god damn race is going just fucking fine....I am still a bit bitter about this whole situation in case that was not clear.  I am actually doing a pretty good pace on my runs in the mornings.

The weekend was actually pretty nice and relaxing.  I actually took Friday off and made it a four day weekend, aka the wrap around.

I got back to the dojo- Cobra Kai never die!- for the first time since before Thanksgiving.  My core is still a bit sore from the work out joshu put me through but glad to be back stepping out on the mat.

Sunday I got to babysit my sons which was great.  The ex called and explained she was going into the city to see the Broadway show "War Horse" with all her friends from the barn and asked if I'd be willing to take the boys for the day- duh...of course I would.

I picked them up at 10:30 in the morning and we picked up breakfast and got home.  The day was quiet as the husband and I were getting ready for dinner guests.  The husband used one of the cook books I got him to make chicken chasseur- basically a French version of chicken cacctaiore.   I made a chocolate cake with homemade butter cream frosting.  The funniest part of the day was when the oldest asked what smelled so good and then asked the husband what he was making and what time dinner was.  I had to crush him and tell him he and his brother would be back at their mom's for dinner- ha!  Sometimes I am a mean dad...

So I was early again on my call for Greece defaulting.  It now appears it will be when they miss their bond payment in March.  The thing I am still at a loss to comprehend is how only the private sector will have to take the write down on Greek debt and the exact same Greek debt will still be marked at par or close to par by governmental agencies throughout the Continent.  As my bond friend said it is simple- the government has the power, aka a monopoly on the legal use of force and coercion.
 
Speaking of my bond friend the husband and I had drinks with him late yesterday afternoon at a local watering hole.  It was great to see him and sobering as even he is cognizant of the destruction of liquidity that is occurring in the capital markets.  It does not bode well for those (including me) in our line of work.  On a positive note though he and the husband got talking and he told the husband to send him his resume.  The husband has been dying to get his resume in front of someone at my bond friend's firm.

The other pretty amazing thing is my bond friend telling me he has completely given up on the GOP.  This guy is Republican through and through- more a Teddy Roosevelt kind than a Barry Goldwater kind- and for him to throw the towel in because he thinks they are completely losing it says a lot.  He is also the second smart friend I know who has given up on their party because they are completely corrupt and both owned by the oligarchs.  As an aside the other friend is a former Democrat.

We have a pretty light calendar this week- as in nothing on the docket.   Psyched for that and we do have the boys this weekend.  Of course we will be seeing Underworld Awakening.  I was totally psyched for the season premiere of "Being Human" last night.  I also foolishly stayed up late to watch "Lost Girl."  That one seems interesting but I think I will be keeping up with it on through On Demand.

I know I said I would not be talking about the supposed Oracle of Omaha, aka Mr. Buffet, but I have to make this comment.  It seems that one of his companies uses prison labor to produce goods.  Really?  He is worried about not paying enough taxes but has no issue using indentured/slave labor for production?  How can anyone take this sanctimonious windbag seriously?  He is all about do as I say not as I do it is clear to me.  The story of course got very little ink or airplay as it does not fit with the narrative the status quo wants the masses to follow.  If you find the story it is repulsive how it is spun as his company are the good guys in this situation because they realized they were breaking Canadian law by exporting slave labor produced goods to Canada.  So of course they voluntarily and unilaterally decided it would be best to stop exporting such goods.  Hello?  How about stop using prison labor?

1 comment:

Steve said...

It's good rehab for the prison population to work. Some of them learn skills that will be useful once they are released. Further, idleness just encourages the negative attitudes that in most cases were responsible for landing them in the penitentiary in the first place. I have no problem with the inmates working cheap because, after all, they have a certain debt to society the day they walk in, and then they get free food for the duration.

That doesn't mean that Buffett should get their labor for peanuts; the spread between what they are paid and the fair value of the labor should go to the state to defray part of the cost of incarceration.