Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fair share

The past weekend was very relaxing.  The weather was amazing and we actually had no guests- per se.  The husband's book club was supposed to be down here for lunch and their discussion.  Of course there was drama so the book club was cancelled and instead we had our friend LJ and AKR came for lunch.  LJ is a member of the book club and hey spend a lot of time down here as AKR's career is down here.  They are some of the best guests as they are sooo laid back and easy as guests go.  We enjoyed an excellent lunch the husband made and then our guests had to get going as they had an appointment. 

The rest of the day was nap time and general relaxing.  We then had a dinner date in the village down the road.

Sunday was manual labor day.  The husband had me back up on the roof installing gutter guards to keep the leaves out.  I really hope they work.   Then it was time for me to do my lumber jack routine and split more wood.  The husband did the Mexican work- fitting no?- and shuttled all the wood to where I was chopping.  He tentatively asked if he could try.  I quickly told him no, you can't even use a hammer properly- there i s no way in hell I am letting you touch the axe.  He asked if I would teach him how to use it and I told him maybe grasshopper, maybe...

So the Italian government- kinda an oxymoron no?- has fallen and apparently that is good for our economy?  Seriously, what is going on in the tape is all the long only PMs who are under performing are now buying because they are so short term they are afraid to explain to their investors why they did not even though they have quite possibly ten thousand great arguments for not doing it.  Then of course today reality sets in- reality hits ya hard bro!- and everyone realized Italy is totally fucked and I do mean totally.  The funny thing is once the spread blew out yesterday you knew the cannoli was done.  What everyone should really be focused on now is the French spread and it aint looking too good.  The thing that amused me today was the RTRSY story saying France and Germany are f"going through an intellectual exercise" of what it would take to make a smaller Euro zone, aka kicking out the southern countries.  The amusing part is once Germany realizes that France is totally fucked too then it will end up being a new Hanseatic League of some sorts with Germany and the Nordic countries, possibly the UK as well.

Speaking of the UK I really think they owe Soros a huge thank you for breaking the BOE in 1992 and forcing them out of the ERM. 

I see Jefferson County down in Alabama is officially going to file for bankruptcy.  I think that is Chapter 9 int he code, not sure.  Regardless it is a huge issue and is also the largest of its kind...to date.

So the whole OWS movement has gotten me thinking just what is my fair share to pay in taxes.  I have no problem paying taxes to support the nation and the social safety net that was built up since the Depression as I and most of my family has taken advantage of the benefits of the social safety net.  But as it is now I am currently paying ~50% of all my income in taxes already.  I am ok with that, I still live a nice life and have no complaints. 

I am fairly certain that if I had to start paying 60, 65 or 70 percent of my income in taxes I would not be so sanguine.  I would definitely want a larger say in what constitutes the social safety net as well.  I read somewhere that the top 5% of the income earners pay 40% of the taxes already.  So, how much more until it is fair?  And the whole line of shit Warren Buffet is spouting- you know what, if he wanted to he could stop using the current code to his benefit to minimize his personal tax bill and just pay what the code intends him to pay but of course he says he'll only do that if everyone else does; so much for leading by example....I also bet that he could influence the companies he has large stakes in to also stop sing the code to minimize their tax bills.  When GE effectively pays no taxes and possibly gets money back there is something wrong with the code.  The irony is their CEO is supposedly the jobs czar...

I am glad to see some of the Republicans are starting to do the math and realize just cutting the size of the government and the services offered will not solve our problems and we need to increase revenues as well.  I am a huge fan of a flat tax and getting rid of all exemptions.  The foolish 9-9-9 plan is no the right number , I am guessing if we go flat tax it is closer to say 15% to actually make a difference.  If we get a flat tax I have no problem with a VAT either.

Orange Nikes has been at he gym making my days start right.

My oldest is off to Disney.  Apparently his best friend who lives next door was going with his family and his older brother could not go do to some school commitment.  So the ex got asked if our oldest could go.  She said sure.  They left yesterday afternoon.  I told him I expect him to call or text me and his mother when he arrived- which he did.  I also told him I expect him to take my nightly calls and so far so good.

No comments: