Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"...State Farm is there..."

The weekend was pretty busy but in a good way.  We got quite a bit done ahead of Christmas.

My oldest actually went to a friend's birthday party and sleep over Friday night so I just had to pick up my youngest.  We had our usual dinner with ST and PJ and it was quite nice.  The husband made this amazing tuna dish but we told my youngest- the picky fussy pain in the ass eater- he was eating albacore since he is not a tuna fan.  He finished it of course.

Saturday morning was one of the highlights of the weekend.  I went to pick up my oldest and when I saw him I noticed he had ink on the left side of his face.  Apparently he was the first to fall asleep at the sleep over so off course his friends drew a penis on the side of his face, lol.  Classic!  HE did not even realize it nor did his mother until I pointed it out.  We called him penis face often during the weekend.  I also gave him advice for when he gets his friends back:  Use a black Sharpie and draw it on the forehead.  Or I suggested he shave off just one eyebrow- that is great and has happened to me in my rowdy youth- and much more devious as it cannot be washed away with soap and water, only shame works...

Saturday was allotted to decorate the house for Christmas.  That entailed getting more lights- both "twinklers" and regular lights.  the husband had me up a ladder wrapping the branches of one of our dogwoods with red, mulch-faceted spherical bulbs.  He was concerned that I would staple thru the wire when attaching the lights to the trunk.  I told him relax, it won't happen.  Of course the first staple- right thru the wire, lol.  Nothing electrical tape can't fix though.

The two holly bushes got the old school white lights (old school in shape only, all our lights are LED).  The small yew got the twinklers.  That took most of the day and then I made grilled cheese and tomato soup for all of us for dinner.

Sunday was allotted for the tree, wreath and any other accouterments  we might get.  The tree was fairly priced.  The husband wanted a large wreath for the front bay window.  We got a 48" wreath and he nearly choked when he found out how much it was going to cost.  We also ended up getting a swag for the front door to hang under the knocker.

I really cannot believe these asswipes from MF Global are using the Enron defense, or as some refer to it he Shaggy defense- you know- It Wasn't Me.  I may be mistaken but I thought the whole Sarbanes-Oxley law was enacted to prevent this situation?  It is real simple- the management of MF Global should all go to jail.  I gotta think there is some mid-level operations guy sitting on a beach somewhere because he successfully skimmed millions of the illegally co0mingled funds...

Is it just me or has France gotten tres aggressive in pursuing an  activist foreign policy?  they led the charge on Libya and they are clearly leading the charge on Syria as well.  I have heard rumblings that we and our NATO allies are building up forces along the Syrian-Jordanian border...perpetual war, do we still have a Republican President?

When the husband and I lived in the city we were your typical apartment renters- we barely knew our neighbors in passing.  So now that we are country gays I told the husband we should get to know our neighbors.  To that end we are having a Christmas cocktail party this Saturday.  I did invite my brother who lives 20 minutes away but other than that it is no family, no one from the city and no co-workers.

Last night we met with the caterer.  The husband wanted to do this ourselves and I said no, we need to socialize and meet our neighbors not work.  The role reversal is ironic as I am usually the cheap frugal one and he is the extravagant one.  The caterer was great and I am glad we went that route.  Will let you know how the food is in a later post.

The boys are coming even though they are with their mom this weekend.  I spoke with her and I am picking them up Saturday afternoon and dropping them back off in the evening.  They will also pull coat check duty.

On the invitations I wrote "Holiday attire not necessary but welcomed."  That of course caused a tizzy with many of the husband's friends. As for me I went and bought totally preppy red cords with little white snowmen embroidered all over.  I also got a Christmas plaid tie and matching ribbon belt.  The husband told me I had to wear a black shirt- fine.  I really wanted a red, sparkly, lame jacket and matching Santa hat but thought that would be a bit over the top....

No comments: